School Board Votes on Reopening Plan
Thursday, Jul 16th
On Thursday, July 16, 2020, after careful consideration and hearing from hundreds of parents and staff, the Board of Education approved a resolution and a plan to reopen schools for the 2020-2021 school year in distance learning (Plan C). This decision by our school board was extraordinarily difficult. We’ve taken your feedback seriously. We are committed to leaning into this challenge.
- SLCUSD will begin the 2020-2021 school year in distance learning to continue through the winter break.
- The first day of school will be Monday, August 24. Parents and students should expect rigorous, full-day instruction for our students, including synchronous and asynchronous teaching and learning opportunities. Daily attendance will be required for all students, Monday - Friday.
- Families wishing to select the Virtual Learning Program (VLP) for the entire 2020-2021 year must do so by July 24, 2020.
- SLCUSD is currently negotiating with our labor partners.
Supporting Our District Family:
- Weekly meals will continue to be provided to students by Food Services.
- The district will coordinate with the cities of Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo as well as the YMCA and other non-profits to provide options for families and staff who require childcare beginning at the start of the year.
- We will provide all students with Chromebooks and WiFi hotspots as needed.
- We will coordinate with our site administrators and staff to ensure students have access to instructional materials at home.
- We will provide small group specialty classes for specific student populations who require in-person learning and support while we remain in the distance learning model. These classes will be closely monitored by district staff in partnership with the San Luis Obispo County Public Health department.
- Students who wish to participate in extracurricular activities may do so outside of the school day once it is safe and we receive the necessary guidance.
- The Family Resource Center will continue to provide for basic needs. If you or someone you know needs assistance, please do not hesitate to contact them at 805-596-4033 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The district will clearly communicate information regarding distance learning requirements for staff, parents, and students.
- We will agendize regular reopening checkpoints during public Board meetings to discuss metrics, refinement of hybrid plans, and relevant updates.
- We created a dedicated website to offer ongoing COVID-19 information and provide parents and employees with an easy source of information.
- We will continue to communicate weekly with our families and employees.
« Back to Announcements